14 July, 2011

Mish Mash take 2 (30 weeks)

So I've been hanging out at home now (hence missing my normal Sunday deadline) for just over a week and it's all been brilliant.  It's so good to see my family again!  And because of my fantastic baby shower on Sunday, I got to see even more of my family than normal all in one place!  It was lovely!
That means I have oodles and oodles of things that I could talk about, but I will restrain myself to just three:

1) My Shower
It was so much more fun than I expected!  I don't know what I was worried about but I couldn't quite figure out what one is supposed to DO at a baby shower, and I didn't want everyone bored and wishing they hadn't come.  But what I should have remembered is that I know an awful lot of very nice people who all get along with everyone and part of the fun was just being around everyone and getting to chat.  Most everyone I hadn't seen for at least two years, and some longer than that... Erin (my friend from university) I hadn't seen since James and I got married so it was AMAZING to get to spend time with her.  My mom decorated everything with a cute jungle theme in bright blues, browns, yellows and oranges which was awesome (not a baby-blue sailor suit in sight) and my sister came up with some highly entertaining (if not slightly stomach turning) games.  I also got a load of really fantastic gifts that I can't wait to try out.  Everyone was so generous and there was not a single thing that I would even consider taking back to the store to return (which is quite impressive knowing how picky I am).  It really made for a lovely day and was over all too soon.

2) The things I'm making
I just wanted to throw it out there that I'm loving my mom's sewing machine and hugely enjoy making crafty things for the wee one!  I'll have to post pictures of some of the finished articles, but suffice it to say I'm well chuffed with myself... I'm midway through a beautiful baby carrier that I'm loving. It's sort of like this kind:
And it makes me very happy.  I also found the perfect material to make my own Moby wrap (well, two as I have to cut the width in half... anyone want one?) for half the price!
And I've made some old clothes into maternity clothes, and have plans for some adorable shoes...
I'm just all over this DIY babyness and loving it :o)

3)The freakout factor
I was discussing being pregnant with Janet (my home friend from, like, forever) and to what level it is "freaky."  And it most certainly is!  As he gets bigger and I'm more able to discern individual body parts (not to mention sleep habits and moods) it becomes more and more clear that there is an actual infant INSIDE ME.  Like not a special pregnancy baby but a real baby.  Holding my new niece Caitlin for the first time hasn't helped.  She moves in the same way the one inside me moves and folds herself into the shape that one inside me is.  She is still newborn size.  To look at her and know that there is something just like that under my skin freaks me out.  It is totally, utterly, and extremely weird.  This is a baby that was born at 30 weeks (where I am now).  How shocking to think that our baby boy looks like that - and that he's just hanging out in my belly!  Just there.  I know I've said it already but I'll say it again.
Very.
Very.
Freaky.
And just to reiterate it all again, here is a fantastic picture of Caitlin proving my point...


So that's about it from me at this point.  In a couple days, I'm off to the beach with my whole extended family.  We're gone for just over a week, but I'm not taking my laptop with me... so there will be no blog post for this week and the one for the next might be a bit delayed (until I get back to the UK).  So if you sit at the computer on a  Sunday desperately waiting for the new post (riiiight), I'm afraid you will be a bit disappointed.  Sorry!  Just imagine how many interesting tales I'll have to relate when I get back though! (riiiight) :o)

1 comment:

  1. Okay, got the hang of the freakiness by looking at the 30 week (cute as)baby on top of you with your baby on the inside!

    Very exciting and freaky

    Love Em xxx

    ReplyDelete