07 August, 2011

Work (and the lack thereof) (34 weeks)

See!  Back in business - like I said! (although, pre-warning: next weekend I'm away for a wedding... so the post may or may not be slightly delayed)

But... seeing as I recently posted, I haven't got too much to say today!  So... no promises on interestingness :o)  but this is what has lately been on my mind...

As I go along, I am constantly reassessing how I thought I would be at this stage and how I actually am.  One thing that I'm willing to put my hands up in complete surrender is about working.  At the beginning I kept saying that I wanted to keep working all the way up until I gave birth.  I even envisioned that I might be AT work when it started... and then I realised that I might want some time off a bit before to prepare myself and things like that.  And when it was pointed out that I had an awful lot of annual leave that I needed to use up, I agreed that it was sensible to stop working two weeks before my due date.

(Side Note:  I am fully aware that we are very very lucky in the UK.  We get a lot of time off.  I don't want people to think that I'm gloating or anything - I wouldn't dream of it.  I'm simply discussing the way things are!  Trust me, I know it's amazing - I've been on the other side and I am so so thankful!)

SO - I was going to stop work two weeks before, and then take the full year of maternity leave.  I didn't really know how I felt about staying at home that long on either side, but it seemed the best idea.  And I really didn't know what I was supposed to do with a whole TWO WEEKS just to myself, but why not...

And then the pregnancy went on a bit and I got a bit bigger and a bit more tired...

And I still had a lot of time off that I needed to take at some point.  I realised that I could take it a bit here or there... ooooooor, I could finish work sooner.  And I got a bit bigger and a bit more tired...

And moved my final day up a week. 
Three weeks off before I'm due?  Sounds sensible... might be a bit more than I need, but... yeah!  Good idea!  I don't, you know, need it... but... yeah!

And then I was pregnant a bit longer.  I got a bit bigger.  I got a lot more tired.

And I looked at my annual leave.  Five days left to use.  I could take it now... umm... oooooooor..... ummm...
And last week I moved my final day up a week.  I'm now officially and finally finishing work next Friday, a solid four weeks before my due date!

I whole-heartedly agree that it is unnecessary and probably a bit self-indulgent.  But as soon as I made the decision, I felt so relieved!  I have a very active job.  Even when I'm not due to be performing, I'm still walking around the museum a lot, engaging with people, running errands.  My workmates have done SO much to make it as easy on me as possible, but it is still a tiring job.  Not to mention the effort it takes just getting to and from the museum...  I don't think I ever anticipated just how tired I would be.  I still have NO idea what I'm going to DO with all that time off, but it's enough just knowing that I can sleep in, stay in if I want, go out if I want etc.  Granted, I'm going to miss seeing my friends at the museum every day - and without a baby to distract me, I imagine there will be days that I really miss being there... but I'm ready to be done.
And can't believe it's so soon!  And how weird to know that when I stop, it's not temporarily... but that I won't be back again (to work, at least) until September 2012.  I don't think that has quite sunk in... if it had I don't think I would be so ready to go...  But there you have it!  As of next week, I'm done!

(And yes, I am amazingly lucky for such generous time off!)

1 comment: