26 June, 2011

Mish Mash (28 weeks)

I couldn't quite figure out what to write about this week.  There are a lot of interesting bits and bobs but none that would really flesh out a full post... and I wasn't really deeply engaging with any of them...
So I've decided to just go with them all and go for the mish mash approach!  Think of it like making a meal of all the fridge leftovers :o)  With illustrations to flesh it out a bit
Here goes!

I am now officially in the third trimester!
Woo Woo!  I'm sort of glad to be here because the last few weeks have been a bit hard.  And everyone seems to think that you're "supposed to" "feel alright" in the second trimester.  Firstly, I don't think any pregnancy or pregnant woman is ever "supposed to" do anything!  It's different for everyone and there are no rules as to how it goes.  So I don't really care if I'm "supposed to" be sleeping well - I'm NOT.  Secondly, the majority of people who tell me what I'm "supposed to" be experiencing are people who have never been nor known anyone to be pregnant, and are therefore the most inclined to give their opinions at every opportunity!
But anyway, it seems more acceptable to be uncomfortable and tired once you're in the third trimester.  So now I can continue on exactly as I have been but with the handy "that darned third trimester" excuse.


It's also slightly strange being here.  Things have shifted.  I'm no longer asked how far along I am, but how much longer I have left.  The books are slowly becoming more focused on preparing for labour.  All signs are pointing to the end... and yet it's still twelve weeks away.  A date that is both near and far at the same time (deal with that, Grover!).  I vacillate between bemoaning how much longer there is to go and how being shocked at how close it is.  Perhaps this is the "transitional" stage of labour :) (see what I did there?  It's a pun...)


Permission to Fly
Speaking of strange time warps.  Ages ago, I committed to coming to the big family holiday in July.  At the time, I knew that I would be "around seven months pregnant" and in my head I had a very distinct idea of what that would mean and how "huge" I would be.  I also knew that I would be on the flying on the edge of what some airlines allow (32 weeks) and would therefore need a doctor's note.  But it was AGES away.  Like, MONTHS away.  No need to even think about it.  But now, it's here!  I'm off to get the all clear from my midwife tomorrow!  And I'm flying next week!  It's seemed like it's come upon me quite quickly, but that's only if I sit here and look back.  In reality, I know that it actually has felt like it's taken it's time.  Which might be why it's all the more surprising for it to finally be here.  And am I as I imagined I would be?  No.  I'm nowhere near as huge as I thought I would be.  But that might be because of the gradual nature of getting bigger.  If you showed me a picture then of what I look like now, I would say - yes, you're huge.  But because of the process, I don't feel at all huge.  Partly because I know how much farther there is to go, so I don't dare feel huge now as then I won't even have a word for what I become later!  So, no, I'm not huge.  The other difference is that, at the time, I imagined my size would be the only real issue.  I couldn't and didn't anticipate the other factors.  I'm glad I didn't, because it might have put me off, and I'm fully capable of getting through them.  It's just surprising that they didn't even cross my mind!  For one, sitting in one position is uncomfortable at best and painful at worst.  And it's a looong flight.  I hadn't thought of that.  Secondly, I don't move very fast anymore - and I've booked a relatively short layover because I hate waiting around.  It's never been a problem before, I just run as fast as I can to catch my flight... yeah.  right.  There are other things as well.  It just makes me laugh a bit when I think back to my expectations in January and how they match up to right now.

Another month has passed
Which means it's time for some more pictures!  I've posted my favourites below:



2 comments:

  1. Wondering what the first 2 pictures were - they are broken links on my computer :o(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for fixing the pictures - Grover is an excellent choice. Hope the midwife said "yes" for flying - we are excited to see you next week

    ReplyDelete