27 September, 2011

Update (with lots of personal info! Warning!) (41+ weeks)

Hi everyone - I emailed this update to my Mom, and then thought perhaps I should share it with the world at large... don't know how many actively read my blog, or check it regularly... but here it is for those (few) of you who do!

I had a midwife appointment to assess the situation and it's not an entirely promising one I'm afraid.
There's good news and bad news all mixed together...

Seems my cervix is still pretty much closed (HOW?!) and because of that and the fact that the midwife couldn't reach it meant no possibility of a membrane sweep to try and get things going.  She still tried, but couldn't get there - to which I wanted to suggest that she find a midwife with longer fingers - but seeing as we'd already been there for 2 or so hours, I let it go.  At least her not being able to reach it (and the measurement from the scan) showed that it was shortening up... so that's a small plus.

Had a scan to make sure all was healthy and fine to keep waiting and it was all ok.  Fluid levels still looking good, placenta still functioning well.  Did lots of measurements to make sure he was still growing properly and gave me an estimated weight of (currently) 7 lb 15 oz... which is... alright - don't really want to go much bigger though!  All of the head size etc is right in the middle average (last scan his head was in the 95% so that's a welcome change).

He's finally turned himself over so that he's the right way round.  He's always been head down, but for the longest time his back has been against my back which isn't the best - but now his back is at the front and he's facing down.  So that's good... mostly... he got into this position last night (that was a barrel of laughs) and, although it means I'm not getting kicked and prodded so much on my belly, he's taken to kicking (hard) and pushing into my ribs... which is not as much fun.  And not only that but in the process he moved himself up out of my pelvis - so he's higher than before and no longer really engaged.  On the plus side, this means that I can walk again which is nice... but obviously it's disappointing seeing as not only am I not progressing but he's actually managed to go backwards...

All of the measurements and numbers etc came out with a result of:
"the chance of a spontaneous labour in the following 7 - 10 days is 68%"

Disheartening to say the least.

I've been booked in to be induced at 10:00 am on Sunday the 2nd (did I EVER consider that he might be born in OCTOBER?!) if nothing happens before then.  I'm still on the fence as to whether I want to try and wait it out or not though, but I figured I needed to have some time to get my head around it all before I came to any conclusions, so went ahead and made the appointment.

So that's that.  68% isn't very high but it's just a number in the end.  Stats aren't fortune tellers.  So I'm not giving up hope just yet - but it certainly wasn't entirely what I was hoping to hear...

1 comment:

  1. I've been an avid follower and appreciate the updates! :) I love you so much and love that you're keeping us posted about how you and the baby are doing

    ReplyDelete