28 September, 2011

Worth a shot (41+ weeks)

I decided to try my best at taking matters into my own hands. 
Old wives must know something right?  I mean, they can't ALL be just random superstitions can they?

So this was today's plan. 
Step one: Come up with a list of all the old wives tales about how to bring on labour.
Step two: Do them.  All of them.  In one day. 

I figured, hey - it can't hurt right?  Except for one - Castor Oil.  That's the most common one, but everything I read said that though it might possibly work it can, indeed, be a very bad thing (ie: vomiting, diarrhoea, stress to the baby etc).  So Castor oil was scratched off the list.  But everything else was fair game.  The only trouble is that this goes against every scientific bone in my body - not for the faith in an old wives tale, but the whole "only change one variable at a time - ONE!" thing.  So, if it does work, I will never ever know which one it was.  But maybe it's like a scale, and the more you add in the more likely it is to tip.  Who knows.  Whatever - it can't hurt.

Here's how I fared (the suggestions are bolded so that you can keep track):

I started the day by taking a long walk with James.  I walked with him all the way to his work.  It's not actually THAT long (it only takes about 30 minutes) but I knew I would be continuing to walk all day - so it was ok not to have one long one.  I then got on a bus to the shops to pick up supplies.  The bus I took is one that drives down a bumpy road and I sat in the bumpiest seat I could find.  I then took my time browsing and walking up and down the aisles.

Here's what I came home with:


I got home around lunch time, which was perfect timing.  I began by making myself a nice cup of Raspberry Leaf Tea.  I put two tea bags in, just to make sure :o) 
While I sipped my tea, I set about chopping up and eating fresh pineapple cores.  I knew that you had to eat quite a few, but I only managed to get through two.  Luckily the cores aren't as acidic (though they also don't taste very nice) so I was able to get through them without my mouth going too crazy... But even so, after two I had to stop. 
On to proper food.  I heated up a nice spicy curry.  On the side I had bread dipped into Balsamic Vinegar (I added some olive oil to make it a bit nicer) and I cooled off a bit with some Cider.  All of this was laid out on the coffee table so that I could bounce on an exercise ball while I ate.  The bouncing/eating combo didn't work as well as I hoped, so after I finished eating I kept up a bit more bouncing, just to make sure...
While I was bouncing, I blew up a balloon.  This one seemed really odd so I did it a couple times, unsure as to what exactly it was meant to be doing.
After bouncing, I ran a nice warm bath.  While it was filling up, I danced around the living room. 
While in the bath I gave myself an ankle rub focusing on particular acupressure points.  I took in the laptop to watch a comedy with the hopes that I would laugh really hard but it wasn't that funny... so I guess I failed a bit on that one. 
After I got out of the tub, I bounced a bit more on the ball and took a short walk around the block.  I then made myself another cup of tea which I'm drinking as I blog.
And that's all!  Almost... there's one more, but I have to wait until James gets home...

So will it work?!  Will our hero avoid the dreaded evil-induction?!  Will the baby come to save the day?! Tune in tomorrow to find out!
To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment